Monday 28 April 2014

Why isn’t there a Dick Tracy style radio wristwatch on the market? (Asked by Nadia from Los Angeles, California)

(Asked by Nadia from Los Angeles, California)

Before I answer your question, I have a question for you; what’s the weather like in the City of Angels?

Because right now, as I type this from my home in the UK, its bloody freezing and if it’s warmer where you are, then I think I may have to answer your question in person!

Just kidding.

On to your question, does it matter if the watch isn’t ‘Dick Tracy’ branded? Because if that’s what you’re after, then I’m sorry to say that, to the best of my knowledge at least, a ‘Dick Tracy’ branded two-way radio wristwatch doesn’t exist. If/when they make another DT movie (the last time they did, I was a little boy and I had the promotional T-shirt, so we must be due for one), then it seems likely that they will make one.

However, if you just want a two-way radio in the form of a wristwatch, then actually, you’re in luck. Two-way radio watches, like those used by Dick Tracy, do indeed exist and are available for purchase as I type this. They don’t appear to have gotten big as a consumer item (which is somewhat odd, when you think about it), but you never know, you could start a trend.

Wow. I’ve actually finished early this time out, I’ve still got a fair old bit of space to use up. What I’ll do, then, is list a few of the available products for you.

First, there’s the XACT X2X Wristlinx, which boasts 22 available channels and a 1.5-mile range, then there’s the AGPtek Multi-channels wrist-operated walkie talkie which, clumsy name aside, offers 5 hours of talk time and full headset/headphone compatibility (though quite how attaching headphones to your wrist would work is anyone’s guess), although it only has 12 hours of time display before the batteries conk out of you (and, somewhat disappointingly, it has no back-up power source), this isn’t really a bad bit of kit. After those two, there are a bunch of variations on a theme, most of which can be ordered via Amazon, they are usually priced between $45 and $95, but you can probably find a bargain if you look around a bit.

So, as I shuffle off to bed in time for my long winter’s nap, I hope I’ve helped answer your question, Nadia. Enjoy the weather while you can, you’ll miss it when it’s gone!


No comments:

Post a Comment